Monday, April 20, 2009

Weekend with relatives

This past weekend we met my uncle Ray and cousin Karen in Shreveport for a weekend of fun. My mom came along with us. My uncle and cousin live in Austin. I had not seen my cousin for close to 40 years until just last year. My uncle moved to Austin last year to be closer to his daughter. So we are now back in touch with that leg of the family!

I recently took some old reel movies to be transferred to DVD. These were movies taken by my grandfather and we really didn't know what was on them. I was able to pick the DVDs up on our way out of town so we enjoyed watching them with my mom and uncle who were able to identify a lot of the people in the videos. Among them are my great-grandparents! There is even footage of me as a newborn. So the movies are REALLY old! Actually, the oldest portion was probably of my dad when he was about 13 which would make that reel more than 60 years old.

The only downside of the trip was the flat tire we had on our way to Shreveport. Of course we were in the middle of nowhere on a busy interstate and it was raining. It took 2 hours for roadside assistance to arrive. The tire was ruined and we were not able to find replacements in Shreveport so we drove home without a spare. I got to spend this morning at the tire shop getting a new set.

Here we are at breakfast on Sunday morning:

No comments: